"With all of these practices, if we drill down on what's actually happening with them, it is just a shift in your nervous system. Being able to connect the mind and the body and the breath via this system in your body that is designed to succeed and live inline with your values and goals." - Dr. Dan Libby
Thanks to Tim Avery, btu #12 for the intro to Dan.
Dr. Dan Libby is the founder and executive director of Veterans Yoga Project (VYP). He has empowered veterans and their communities to access healing resources and find resilience both within themselves and through connection with others. He has developed the Mindful Resilience Training for Trauma Recovery; a workshop created for yoga teachers and mental health clinicians who in turn bring this work to their veterans and communities. He's a licensed clinical psychologist, and holds a B.S. in Psychology from the The University of Montana and a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Clinical Psychology from St. John’s University.
Why to Listen:
- Veterans on the show often talk about meditation as a way to stay grounded and be more productive at work. This is a great episode for exploring that and other helpful practices to keep you at your best inside and outside of work.
- StoryBox - People trust each other more than advertising. StoryBox provides the tools and supports businesses need to take the best things customers say about them, and use them to drive more sales and referrals. StoryBox offers a 10% discount to companies employing veterans of the US Armed Forces.
- Audible is offering one FREE audio book to Beyond the Uniform listeners. You can claim this offer here, and see a list of books recommended by my guests at BeyondTheUniform.io/books
- 103 classes being taught around the United States that are free for veterans and taught by a VYP instructor. You can view them here, or contact the VYP to find someone to teach you locally
- Practice Libraryat VYP where you can download or stream a practice in breathing, mindful movement, meditation, guided rest, and gratitude.
- Veterans Gratitude Week- One of two major fundraisers held annually by VYP and it's supporters. Join forces with VYP and hold a donation based class this Veteran's Day.
- The Body Keeps the Score - A great book about the neuroscience behind this
- Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life
- The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness
- What was the genesis of the Veterans Yoga Project?
- How would you explain VYP to someone on Active Duty?
- Is there an experiential part of this we could start with to give listeners a sense of the sort of tools you provide?
- In your work with Veterans, what are common objections or reserves you see about this sort of work?
- What are aspects of your work that you have seen be most beneficial to veterans?
- What other resources - books, programs, podcasts, etc - would you recommend to listeners
- Final words of wisdom to audience?